Things to do
Alexandria is nestled beneath picturesque Table Cape at the mouth of the Inglis River. It is at the centre of a prosperous farming district. Enjoy beautiful river views and walks, golfing, fishing and sightseeing. Alexandria is ideally situated to base yourself for a few days to tour the North West Coast of Tasmania. The places listed below are just an example of what this beautiful part of the world has to offer.
Town of Wynyard and Surrounding Area - within 15 minutes drive
Wynyard Town Centre (2 min drive)
- Wonders of Wynyard - Visitor Centre (2 min drive)
- Walking tracks along the Inglis River town side to Gutteridge Gardens and the wharf (3 kms return from Alexandra)
- Walking track along the river to Wynyard Golf Club, bird rookery and Fossil Bluff where the largest marine fossil was found.
- Tulip Festival 'Bloomin' Tulips' in October. A display of Daffodils in September, Tulips in October, and Dutch iris in late October and early November at the Table Cape Tulip Farm.
- Table Cape and Lighthouse / observation area
- Visit Boat Harbour beach - voted one of the 10 best beaches in Australia, only 20 km away via scenic Table Cape
- Continue on to Sisters Beach, a popular swimming beach with shady trees.
- Golf - Wynyard Golf Club and Seabrook Golf Club
Within 1 hour drive
- Rocky Cape National Park - easy walking tracks featuring coastal views,
- Hellyer Gorge State Reserve - 10 min walk along the Hellyer river between steep ridges.
- Continue on to Waratah, once the site of the world's richest tin mine. Enjoy wilderness, lakes, trout fishing, gold panning, mine tours etc. Drop into the Waratah Museum.
- Visit the Regional Museum in Burnie (20kms from Alexandria)
- Visit The Makers Workshop, Burnie.
- Take a tour and sample the golden liquid at Hellyers Whiskey Distillery, Burnie
- Visit the town of Smithton
- Drive along the coast road towards the East through towns such as Penguin, Ulverstone and Devonport
- Visit a Waterfall - Dip falls towards Stanley, Guide Falls in Ridgley, Waratah and Philospher Falls in Waratah
Within 2 hours drive
- The majestic Cradle Mountain and surrounding National Park- within 1.5 hours drive
- Visit Sheffield - the town of Murals
- The West Coast Triangle - Strahan, Zeehan, Queenstown.
- Book a tour on the West Coast Wilderness Railway or book a cruise on the Gordon River in Strahan.
- Explore the wilderness and mining history of Zeehan and Queenstown.
- Visit Dismal Swamp and Arthur River and travel to the Edge of the World